2MPT #39 – Depth of Field

September 11th, 2006

show 39 iconMake your subjects pop from your photos background by simulating a decrease in depth of field.

This trick include tips on:

• Extracting objects
  • Hiding/showing layers and layer management
  • Selective blurring and blur gradation

Note: If you are downloading directly from the web page click here to download.

Thanks to the Hijiyama Project for our closing theme.

Entry Filed under: FB,Podcast

20 Comments Add your own

• 1. danuta Otfinowski  |  September 17th, 2006 at 8:09 pm

I only getthe audio portion of the trick, I was trying to see #39-Depth of Field. Is there software I need to download to get the video? I’m on OS X 10.4.6 Many Thanks, Danuta

• 2. danuta Otfinowski  |  September 17th, 2006 at 8:09 pm

• 3. danuta Otfinowski  |  September 17th, 2006 at 8:09 pm

• 4. anne halford  |  September 22nd, 2006 at 5:14 am

As I’m a visually oriented person, I find it very hard to just listen to what you are explaining without seeing the photoshop screenshots to accompany what you say. Have you watched the photoshop killertips video podcast? Thanks for all your work, but it doesn’t seem to work for me :-) Anne (from France)

• 5. Jim  |  September 25th, 2006 at 5:55 pm

The audio/podcast approach may be a good option for some folks, but I learn better with the written tutorials that I can refer to while I’m working etc. I recently returned to one that got me to your sight in the first place (vivid dreamy trick). Could you please provide such written tutes as an alternative or supplement to audio/video tutes?

• 6. Bill McQuary  |  October 14th, 2006 at 9:24 am

I/m trying to use Lesson #39, Depth of Field. It’s just an MP3 file -no video- and you suggest listeners feel free to pause the pod caste to have enough time to folloe the instructions. The problem is, no controls appear to stop, pause, or replay parts of the pod cast. What tools are supposed to be available during the pod cast?

I’m running version 10.4.8 on a Power Mac G5.

Thanks. Bill

• 7. Kent  |  October 16th, 2006 at 2:36 pm

Hey everyone, Been very busy lately and have just had time to do the audio version of the most recent podcasts. I’ll try to do some video catch up.

• 8. Rachel  |  October 28th, 2006 at 11:25 am

Glad to hear you’re ok, always enjoy your show Best regards, Rachel

• 9. ab  |  November 2nd, 2006 at 3:18 pm

What’s the reason for deleting the deleting the extracted object and filling it in with the clone tool? I got the same end result if I left the extracted part in…unless I was doing something wrong. Great tutorial either way.

• 10. Diddle  |  November 2nd, 2006 at 11:47 pm

Love the ‘cast, video or audio, doesn’t matter.

I have a tip for you though – try adjusting the microphone EQ a bit, reduce the bass, turn up the highs. You’re too hard to hear as it’s muffled and rumbly, especially with the music in the background.

Cheers!

• 11. jason  |  December 13th, 2006 at 8:43 am

Would prob be better to just nudge the background music down a bit. It gets distracting, especially if you dont have the wacky in your face Russell Brown speaking voice. :)

• 12. russ  |  December 13th, 2006 at 12:18 pm

is it just me, or are there a lot of complaints on this page? =)

I think your podcast is great – It is what it is, a podcast. If others prefer video tutorials or perhaps written tutorials, there are plenty of sites out there that offer these. Please forgive my being crass, but I’m just a bit confused by so many “suggestions” that come off like complaints to me.

Sorry…

• 13. Davy  |  December 21st, 2006 at 1:04 pm

The podcast isn;t working for me

• 14. slightlydramatic  |  January 18th, 2007 at 10:49 pm

can’t see anything…no video

• 15. JOe  |  January 25th, 2007 at 7:08 pm

Just got your site off Digg. I’m running two monitors and have Photoshop Eliements on one while running the podcast on the other. Even though all the controls are not available on PE, I still got a lot out of your tutorial. Thanks for all your efforts – I’m looking forward to looking through the archives to further my education.

• 16. compare policy  |  January 27th, 2007 at 6:17 pm

great

• 17. Kent  |  February 1st, 2007 at 4:04 pm

OK, I finally got the video version posted! Thanks for your patience everyone. -Kent

• 18. Photoshop tutorial  |  June 15th, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Hey thanks for the video version!!

• 19. Bubbila  |  February 11th, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Sweet comprehensive tutorial, it took a bit of time to get to grips with but it was just what I have been looking for! Well Pleased…

• 20. Otto Haring  |  October 18th, 2009 at 9:47 pm