2 Minute Tricks # 18 – Picture Package

December 2nd, 2005

Show 18 IconThis week we take a look at making a custom picture package layout for printing business cards. This trick will also work for creating custom sheets of labels.

Note: If you are downloading directly from the web page click here to download.

Thanks to the Hijiyama Project for our closing theme.

Step-by-step Guide

Step 1
Step 1: First off you need to design a business card. Standard business cards are 3.5 inches wide and 2 inches tall. So create a new Photoshop document with those dimensions. Add your text and graphics to the document till you have a design you like.

Step 2: When you have a design you like, save you file then go to the file menu and select the automate option then the picture package option. This feature is a fairly recent edition to Photoshop so if you have Photoshop 7 or older this may not work, or may work differently than in the tutorial.

step 3
Step 3: A new dialog box will pop open. First we need set an image to use in the picture package, and since we still have our business card design open in Photoshop select front most image option from the drop down menu in the source image section at the top of the dialog.

step 4
Step 4: Now we need to create a new layout for picture package designed for business cards. So click the edit layout button near the bottom right of the dialog box.

step 5
Step 5: This will pop open another slightly smaller dialog box. First we need to clear all the image zones that are already on this layout so click the delete all button under the image zones portion of the dialog. It should be near the middle. Now look for the grid section of the dialog box. It should be near the bottom. Click on the Snap To check box and change the size of the grid from the default to .25 in.

step 6
Step 6: Now name your new layout by typing in a name in the name field at the top of the dialog box. I used the fairly generic name “Business Cards” so I could remember what this layout is for next time I look for it. Then below the name, change the page size to 8.5 x 11 inches (or whatever your standard paper size is).

step 7
Step 7: Now we are ready to start adding copies of our card to the layout. Click the Add zone button. A little black box will appear on the right hand side of the dialog box possibly with a picture of your business card in it. Click on this box then go to the size fields in the left hand side of the dialog box and enter 3.5 for the width and 2 for the height. In the position boxes enter .5 inches for x and .75 inches for y and hit the tab key for your settings to update in the preview on the right.

step 8
Step 8: Now to add another copy of your business card simply hold down the option key on a Mac or the alt key on a PC and click on the preview of your card in right hand side of the dialog box. This will open up a pop up menu, select the duplicate option.

step 9
Step 9: A duplicate zone will appear at the top of your preview. Drag the zone down and to the right so the top of the zone aligns with the top of the original zone and the left edge of the new zone is 2 grid squares to the left of the edge of the original zone. Repeat this duplication process leaving two grid squares between each copy of the image. You should be able to fit 2 cards across and 4 cards down in the page and have a border of three grid squares on the top and bottom of the page and 2 grid squares on each side. Now click the save button.

step 10
Step 10: You should now be back at the original picture package dialog box. Double check to make sure you page size is 8.5 x 11 and the layout select is business cards or whatever you named your new layout. The resolution field should be set at its default of 300 pixels per inch, but if not go ahead and change it back to that. Also make sure the label content setting is set to none.

Step 11: Now click ok. Photoshop will now take your original business card and layout multiple copies of it on an easy to print page. If you happy with your page of business cards just print them out on some heavyweight paper and cut them with a paper trimmer.

Entry Filed under: FB,Podcast

19 Comments Add your own

• 1. Enrique L.  |  December 7th, 2005 at 9:14 pm

Great job guy’s keepup the good work… Will be waiting for the Step-by-Step Guide #18

• 2. Andy Barker  |  December 9th, 2005 at 1:23 am

Very helpful information. Keep up the great job. Please create a Podcast, showing how to selectively color parts of a black and white image.

• 3. Denise  |  July 3rd, 2006 at 3:01 pm

You rock! This was awesome! Thanks so much for this help!

• 4. Pang  |  August 28th, 2006 at 1:19 pm

This is awesome in creating the business card, however the problem i face is the file size. Effectively, the size is around 500MB! Please enlighten me some methods to reduce the file size without compromise the quality. THanks!

• 5. Norm  |  January 5th, 2007 at 7:49 am

Well done. Interesting step through. Keep up the good work

• 6. Jess  |  January 12th, 2007 at 3:23 pm

AWESOME!… i tried it and it work nicely except that when i print it, i get a brown background color that is not in the psd file… why is this happening?

• 7. Nathan Jones  |  January 12th, 2007 at 8:13 pm

Thanks. I struggled with this for some time before I found your tutorial. –Greatly, appriecated.

• 8. Nathan Jones  |  January 12th, 2007 at 8:15 pm

Thanks. I struggled with this for some time before I found your tutorial. –Greatly appreciated.

• 9. frank  |  April 14th, 2007 at 4:06 pm

I am used to printing Business cards from Mspublisher which prints out 10 cards per page… so is there much trouble is adjusting this 8 cards per page pages set, to 10 ? and how would i do that ? Ty

• 10. Jennifer Greenfield  |  September 19th, 2007 at 9:54 am

Your tutorial on using picture package to print business cards helped me tremendously.

Thank you.

• 11. Lisa  |  October 22nd, 2007 at 5:15 pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I appreciate it a whole lot.

• 12. Carole Leslie  |  November 4th, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Great tutorial and I even figured out how to get 5 cards on a page BUT I would like to use the avery cards that just pull apart rather than cutting them and I can’t quite figure out the alignment for the borders.

• 13. jason  |  January 12th, 2008 at 10:55 am

wow. photoshop makes it so easy. its even simplier w cs3. a noice, yet a was to print one card to a sheet of 8 cards in minutes.. and easy to update when the design changes!

• 14. Zaharia Constantin  |  April 14th, 2008 at 5:33 am

hy, i have try you tutorial, and is ok, but how i make a double sided busines card, bacause i can’t print ok, on bouth side…..

• 15. Phil Brangers  |  May 16th, 2008 at 10:58 pm

Anybody know if there is a way to use Avery Templates with photoshop or illustrator?

• 16. Tomasz Kos  |  June 23rd, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Very nice, technique-friendly tutorial. Always going back to this. Thanks, cheers!

• 17. Andrew French  |  August 30th, 2008 at 10:22 pm

Hey, this tutorial was REALLY helpful! I did change it up a bit as I learned so that I can print on pre-made business card paper I got at a local office supply store. So actually, if you organize the images right, you can print on the 2×5 paper without problems. Good tutorial though! You taught me some stuff I never knew! GG

• 18. cris  |  October 24th, 2008 at 9:47 pm

Wow, This is so easy to follow!. You guys are amazing, keep up the good work. Thanks for helping people like me. :)

• 19. Elizabeth II  |  April 2nd, 2010 at 3:40 am

I’m gonna try this one and I bet there be a lot of struggling as I will be using A4 size of board to print on. And I have a machine cutter so there’ll be much of trial and error how not to cut into the safety zone.Ii’ll be very grateful if you could also give further tips…